Best Odds Guaranteed matched betting
Best Odds Guaranteed (BOG) is a potential avenue of profit from horse racing matched betting.
Bookmakers use BOG to entice mug punter. However, we can back and lay horses to turn this concession to our advantage.
Best Odds Guaranteed explained
BOG is a horse racing promotion, which can yield extra profit for no extra effort.
Horse racing odds are constantly changing, as horses go up and down in price in the betting market.
If you bet on a horse and the starting price is higher than the odds taken, the bookie will pay the winning bet at the higher price. This is called Best Odds Guaranteed.
BOG is useful when placing qualifying bets and free bets. You could gain extra profit if your horse drifts in the betting market and goes on to win.
As the above screenshot from Twitter shows, the major bookmakers are keen to promote BOG.
Best Odds Guaranteed example
Imagine you bet on a horse at 2/1 (3.00) with a bookie. If the starting price is 3/1 (4.00), your bet is settled at 4.00. This is potential extra profit – for no additional risk.
However, if the odds shorten to 6/4 (2.50) – you would still get paid at 3.00 if the horse wins.
Therefore, consider BOG as a best price insurance when matched betting. BOG only applies to back bets at the bookmaker. BOG does not apply to exchange bets. Your exchange liability is not affected by the SP of the horse you are laying.
When placing a qualifying bet for a horse racing offer.
- BACKING: Bet £10 on a horse to win (odds 3.00) with a bookie. [Always take a price, never bet at SP odds].
- LAYING: Lay £10 on the horse (odds 3.00) on the exchange.
If the starting price of your horse increases to 3/1 (4.00), BOG ensures the bookie pays out a total return of £30 instead of £20. However, your £20 lay liability is still the same. Your overall extra profit would be £10.
Use this strategy with all types of matched bets. Back horse at a bookmaker offering BOG, then lay the horse at the exchange – for a risk-free shot at triggering BOG.
Some bookies have a winnings limit for Best Odds Guaranteed, which is generally several thousand pounds.
Looking for some more pointers? Here are some useful tips.
- Place your BOG matched bets early on the day of race. Don’t wait until close to the start of a race, as it will be difficult to back and lay accurately.
- Do not back too many horses at one bookie. You’ll be taking value odds to get a close odds match, which could lead to a gubbing.
- BOG is a risk free matched betting strategy. Try backing Betfred pushes horse racing boosts. Then, place a matching lay bet at the exchange. You’ll then have a risk-free shot at BOG.
- Lay your bets immediately to ensure a risk free matched bet.
Above all, remember that Best Odds Guaranteed is not guaranteed matched betting profit. This is part of a diversified strategy. We want to give ourselves lots of different options to make money.