This article explains matched betting Two Factor Authentication (2FA). Learn how to protect your betting accounts.
Matched betting involves lots of money in online betting accounts. So, you need to protect your accounts from the threat of hackers.
What is Two Factor Authentication?
You login to betting accounts with a username and password. However, if a hacker obtains your details, your account security is under threat.
Two Factor Authentication (2FA) is an extra security feature for your accounts.
After setting up 2FA, you must enter two types of verification to login:
- Your password.
- A code sent to either your email or Google Authenticator app on your smartphone.
You must choose email or Google Authenticator for the second method of verification. You can have one method active at once.
2FA prevents unauthorised logins. You will receive a notification if someone tries to access your account.
Now let’s look at an application that helps with account security.
Google Authenticator app
Download Google Authenticator app from your app store. That’s either Apple app store or Google Play store for Android.
Here’s how to use Google Authenticator to login to your online betting account.
- Enter your online username and password to login to your betting account.
- Open the app to see a randomly generated 6-digit authentication code.
- Finally, enter this code when prompted to login to your betting account.
Authenticator app is more secure than 2FA via email. A hacker would need access to both your account password and the authentication code.
2FA adds a second layer of protection.
How do you set up 2FA on Betfair?
- My Account > My Betfair Account.
- My details > Security Settings.
- 2-step security and click “Edit”.
- Got to the app store (Apple or Google Play). Install Google Authenticator App on your smartphone.
- Open Google Authenticator app and scan the QR code on the screen.
- Enter the 6-digit code from Google Authenticator into Betfair. Then, click the yellow “Save” button on the right-hand side.
Here’s how to set up 2FA on Smarkets.
- Go to Account > Settings.
- In the Login tab, choose “Enable Two Factor Authentication”.
- Install the Google Authenticator app.
- Open Google Authenticator and scan the QR code on your screen.
- Enter the 6-digit code from Google Authenticator into Smarkets. Click “Enable Two-Factor Authentication”.
The popular matched betting service OddsMonkey have a 2FA feature.
Setup your OddsMonkey 2FA in a few easy steps:
- Tools > Settings > General Settings
- Select Enable Two-Factor Authentication as Enabled. Choose Google Authenticator as your authentication option.
OddsMonkey will ask for the email address registered to your account.
Each time you login to OddsMonkey with your username and password, you’ll receive a random 6-digit authentication code via email. The code is valid for 15 minutes each time.